- ½ tsp black pepper
- 3 T all-purpose flour
- 2 T oil
- 1 ½ lbs stew meat (1 inch cubed)
- 2 ½ C tomato juice
- 3 ½ C beef broth
- 1 med. Sized onion (chopped)
- 5 carrots (peeled, cut)
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 3 small bay leaves
- In a bag, add the flour and pepper.
- Shake bag to combine.
- Add stew meat pieces and shake bag until beef is evenly coated with flour mixture.
- Add oil to a 5 qt dutch oven and heat over medium heat (350°).
- When pot is heated, remove from oven and place on an electric single burner set at medium- high heat.
- Add stew meat and cook until golden brown.
- Remove meat and add onions to pot to deglaze the pot for a couple of minutes.
- Then add tomato juice and beef broth followed by carrots, celery, bay leaves and garlic.
- Add potatoes and stew meat.
- Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Turn off burner.
- Put lid on top and transfer dutch oven into a 350° brick oven.
- Cook for approximately 50 min or until meat and veggies are tender.
- Once stew has cooked, its ready to eat!
- Stew can be prepared and cooked entirely in the brick oven if you choose not
to use a single electric burner
- I find that by keeping the meat and veggie pieces smaller they will cook faster
- Our biscuit or beer bread recipe pair well with this stew!