- 2 tbsp instant yeast
- 1 C warm water about 115°. Add more water by the tbsp as needed.
- ⅓ C oil
- 1 C sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add oil and sugar and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add egg, salt, and enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn out dough onto floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (3-5 minutes).
- Divide into 10 pieces and shape into balls.
- Space 3 inches apart on tray lined with parchment paper.
- Cover with towel and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Place dough balls in oiled 12-inch round cast iron dish and let rise until they have doubled in size or are even with top of the dish.
- Whisk egg wash together and brush bun tops with the wash.
- Bake at 450° in brick oven for 14-16 minutes.
- Rotate dish in oven as needed to evenly brown bun tops
- For some extra crunch, cut cooked buns in half, then place cut side down on Tuscan grill in brick oven for 1-2 minutes.
- To save time, place dough balls into oiled round glass or metal pan. Seal with foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate or freeze. When ready to use, place balls into oiled cast iron dish, thaw, and let rise. Ready to bake!