- ¾ C purpose flour
- 1¼ tsp yellow corn meal
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ C salt
- 8 tbsp melted butter 1 stick
- ½ C sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 C buttermilk
- In a bowl, combine flour, corn meal, baking soda, and salt.
- Whisk together to mix thoroughly.
- In another bowl mix melted butter, sugar, eggs, and buttermilk.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet using a spatula.
- Mix only until the flour disappears. The mixture should still be lumpy.
- Pour mixture into heated oiled cornbread pan, filling half of each space.
- Bake in brick oven at 350° for about 25 minutes.
- Cornbread is done when the edges are golden-brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Take pan out and let cool.
- Enjoy plain or with some butter, jam, honey, or chili!
- I used two 9 inch cast iron cornbread pans with the wedge shapes molded into the pans. You can also use two regular 8 or 9 inch cast iron pans.
- 1 C of whole milk mixed with 1 tsp of lemon juice is a good substitute for buttermilk.
- I love this recipe, because of the moistness and hint of sweetness!