- 4-5 apples
- ¾ C sugar
- 1 T all-purpose flour
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ C oatmeal
- ½ C brown sugar
- ½ C all-purpose flour
- ⅛ tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp baking powder
- ¼ C cold butter
- Peel and cut apples into 1-inch cubes.
- Use enough apples to fill pan.
- In a large bowl, combine apple filling ingredients: sugar, flour, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add apple cubes and mix thoroughly.
- Transfer apple filling into 8-9inch heated and oiled cast iron skillet.
- In a bowl combine apple topping ingredients: oatmeal, brown sugar, flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Cut cold butter into small pieces and with a pasty cutter or fingers, mix until it looks crumbly.
- Pour toppings evenly over apple filling.
- Bake in a brick oven at 375° for 40 minutes.
- Apple crisp is done when knife can be inserted easily through apples and bubbling around edge of pan.
- Use firm apples. Mushy apples will make a mushy apple crisp!
- For added flavor and creaminess, top with a dollop of vanilla ice cream!