- ½ C finely chopped onion
- 8 oz beef sausage (cut into small pieces)
- 1 can mild chili beans (30 ½ oz)
- 1 can pinto beans (15 oz, drained)
- 1 can northern beans (15 oz, drained)
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes (14 ½ oz, drained)
- 1 can nacho cheese soup (10 ¾ oz)
- In the preheated 5 qt. cast iron Dutch oven brown onions and sausage.
- Add all beans, tomatoes and cheese soup to the pot.
- Stir until mixed well.
- Return the Dutch oven to the fireplace swing arm.
- Heat the chili with lid on occasionally stirring and adjusting pot over flames to acquire and maintain desired temp until chili is hot.
- This chili recipe goes so well with our cornbread recipe!
- Don’t have a swing arm and/ or a fireplace to cook this chili recipe with? Use our Dutch oven in your brick oven using the same recommended temps. (I’m planning a future soup recipe made in the brick oven to show in detail how this is done!)
- For more heat add medium or hot canned chili beans.
- For safety when handling hot heavy cast iron cook ware always use gloves rated for high heat such a Welders gloves.
- Try using a poker stick when moving the swing arm in the fireplace back and forth.
- I cook with the lid on to heat the soup faster and also to help avoid ashes or other debris from finding its way into the pot!